What Happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Flight 370

The big mystery surrounding flight 370. What happened to it? Where did it go? We may never know. But, here’s what we know and what people are saying might have happened.

Malaysia airlines flight 370 was a scheduled flight on March 8 2014. It was scheduled to leave from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia at 12:35 am and arrive in Beijing China at 6:30 am. But flight 370 never  arrive in Beijing and now over 5 years later we still don’t have an answer for what happened to it or where exactly it currently is. The disappearance of the plane mid flight and the lack of any conclusive answers have guaranteed that flight 370 remains the greatest mystery in aviation history.

Flight 370

So let’s start with the basics, flight 370 was one of two flights daily operated by Malaysia Airlines that made flights between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing.  Flight 370 was scheduled to leave Kuala Lumpur on the 8th of March at 12:35 am and arrive in Beijing China at 6:30 am for a total flight time of 5 hours and 34 minutes. The aircraft that was being flown was a Boeing 777 passenger jet carrying enough fuel to remain in the air for 7 hours and 41 minutes, more than enough time to make a diversion if necessary. The plane itself was 11 years old and had no previous incidents of mechanical issues reported. The flight was operated by a crew of 12 people all of whom were Malaysian citizens and 2 pilots. The pilot in command was Zaharie Ahmad Shah a long time employee who had joined Malaysia airlines in 1981. His co pilot was Fariq Hamid who had been with the company for 7 years. In addition to these 12 crew members there was a total number 221 passenger on board.  

The Take Off

Fight 370 took off from the run way from Kuala Lumpur at 12:42am The flight at first continued normally, but at 1:06 am sent its last automated position report and final transmission. The last verbal contact anybody had with somebody on flight happened moments later 1:19 am, just 37 minutes after the flight had taken off.

Final Verbal Contact

At that time Kuala Lumpur radar made a call to the cockpit of the flight telling them to switch over to Vietnam airspace saying” Malaysia three seven zero, contact Ho Chi Minh one two zero decimal nine. Good night” This was answered by the head pilot Captain Shah when he replied by saying “Good Night”. The plane was now flying over the Gulf of Thailand on its scheduled path.

Things Get Weird

This is when things start to get weird, moments have making there final verbal contract. At 1:21 am, flight 370 suddenly vanished from the radar screens. This means that the transponder on board was not working at this time. There were very few clouds with no storms, which means that it is highly likely the transponder was manually turned off by someone instead.  Military radar was still able of tracking the plane, so here’s what happened next. For whatever reason the plane began to make a turn right, but then took a left turn in the southwest direction. Flight 370 then flew in this direction back over Malay Peninsula. At 1:52 am the plane was detected flying over Panay Island and then took another turn to fly across Strait of Malacca. The last location of 370 was over the Indian Ocean at 2:22 am. Despite being lost to radar, the plane was still making satellite communications.

Based on the satellite data, the plane took another bizarre turn deeper into the Indian Ocean and continued to fly this way for over 5 hours. The whole time this was happening, the aircraft satellite communication system was responding to hourly statics requests from the satellite company Inmarsat. A phone call was made to the cockpit at 2:39 am but when unanswered by anybody on board. Over four hours later at 7:13 am another call was made to the cockpit but again went unanswered. By 7:24 am while still airborne somewhere over the Indian Ocean, the flight was one hour late passed its scheduled arrival at Beijing. The Malaysian government announced that they had lost contact with the plane and a search and rescue operations had been mobilized. But unknown to them at the time, flight 370 was still flying. The last piece of data received from the plane happened at 8:19 am. The plane at this point had been flying for 7 and 38 minutes and since it was only scheduled to fly for 5 and half hours, it is most likely the plane had run out of fuel by this point and crashed into the Indian Ocean sometime between 8:18 am to 9:15 am.

The Search

The search for the plane and the 239 people on board began almost immediately. Between March 18 and April 28, 19 ships and 345 sorties by military aircraft searched an area over 4.6 million km and found nothing. Not a single piece of evidence was found until a year later after the plane vanished. When on July 15 a piece of wreckage was discovered washed up on the beach of Reunion, the piece was a wing flapper on.  More wreckage was later found on the coast of east Africa. But on January 17 2017 the official search for the plane had been suspended. After over 4 years of searching we are no closer to finding out what happened to flight 370. We are pretty certain of the path the flight took and where it crashed. But were no closer to finding out why it happened.

What Happened To The Plane?

What Happened To Flight 370

The first major theory that got a lot of early attention was a possible hijacking from passengers on board. There were two men on board that were Iranian citizens with stolen passports. Which raised a lot of suspicion; they had only purchased one way tickets and only enter Malaysia a week before the flight departed. But it was later revealed that they were just asylum seekers, fleeing Iran and not terrorists. Nether of them had the skills to have flown a plane or performed a hijacking. The second big theory was that the plane could have been hijacked and taken to a remote island, but no group to date has claimed responsibility and following the discovery of the wreckage of the coast of Africa, this theory has become extremely unlikely. A passenger hijacking doesn’t seem likely to have taken place, but what about a crew hijacking. There was considerable suspicions raised around captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, but no conclusive evidence has been found that links him to causing the incident either.

Police search the homes of both pilots and ceased the financial records of all 12 crew members on board, but none of this discovered anything sinister. But remember when the flight took that weird turn out over the Indian Ocean and flew for five hours until it ran out of fuel. American Intelligence officers believe the most likely explanation for that is someone from the cockpit of flight 370 manually reprogrammed the aircrafts autopilot before it took that turn and do you also remember when flight 370 vanished off the radar screens because the transponder stop working. It’s also possible somebody inside the cockpit manually turned the transponder off. Despite it seeming likely that someone from the cockpit was responsible, there’s still zero conclusive evidence to prove that’s what likely happened.  There’s a few other weird theory out there about what went on, ranging from alien abduction to the plane getting sucked into a black hole. No matter what theory you believe, every single one has some holes in it to make any of them to seem doubtful.  Flight 370 remains aviations greatest unsolved mystery. And as long as we haven’t discovered the plane, we probably won’t

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *